Vacations can mean a chance to get away - unfortunately, vacations also can provide opportunities for criminal activity in your neighborhoods. You can decrease the chance of becoming a victim this summer by following these tips:
- Install lighting, such as motion lights or dusk to dawn detector lights, on your home's exterior.
- Trim shrubbery around your home to eliminate hiding places.
- Be sure to lock the doors on the house and your car.
- Do not leave valuables (purse, wallet, laptop, loose change, etc.) inside your car.
- Do not leave bikes unattended. Lock your bikes, even if you are going to be away for only a few moments.
- Be aware of your surroundings and those around you when you walk, jog, or bike.
- Install a locking mailbox or ask a neighbor to pick up your mail when on vacation.
- Get to know your neighbors! Let a trusted neighbor know if you are planning to travel. Neighbors who know each other look out for each other.
- If you see it, if you hear it, report it!